A Brief History of the Players Guild
The Players Guild Theatre was founded in 1932 by Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Truxton, who were committed to fostering a lifelong appreciation of the arts among citizens in our community. The Players Guild Theatre is recognized as one of the oldest continually operating volunteer-based theatres in the nation.
After the first three seasons, The Players Guilds productions had drawn enough community interest to warrant a change in facility. The Players Guild arranged to rent facilities at Lincoln High School. However, by 1940, The Players Guilds members became anxious to give the organization a home of its own. Coincidentally, at that time, The Case Mansion was purchased by Frederick Preyer who deeded it to the Canton Art Institute with the provision that the mansions Coach House be rented to The Players Guild at a dollar a year. On February 4, 1942, the new Players Guild home was dedicated with the performance of Village Green.
Despite capital improvements made to the Coach House by the Guild, the audiences outgrew the space by the Guilds third decade. On December 13, 1970, The Players Guild reached another milestone with the dedication of the Cultural Center for the Arts and the establishment of a new theatre. Complete with offices and shop facilities, the Guild opened the new facility with a production of Mame on January 5, 1971.
Throughout its history, the Players Guild has produced over 600 productions for more than 2,000,000 audience members spanning several generations. Today the theatre is operated by a professional staff and a Board of Directors and presents world-class productions and outreach opportunities for our community.